Sunday, August 15, 2010


Time and tide wait for no man, or so they say, and our family has been no different. Birthdays have abounded in our little brood. First was my own. I decided to meet my golden years with grace, and threw a formal party for a few close friends.







Everyone seemed to have a grand time, and they were all so cheerful wishing me a happy entrance into this new stage of life. I must say though, I was prepared for all the changes that would take place. It seemed in no time flat my hair turned completely white, and body parts began to sag.








It wasn't long before I carted myself in front of a mirror to darken my hair a bit. I'm not generally a vain person, but I was worried that people would think I was the baby's grandmother, not his mother, if I didn't do something quick.









Speaking of Devlin, he was the next to have a birthday. They grow up so fast. We just had a quiet family party for him. We had hoped that he would have a head full of hair like his brother, but so far he's not willing to show us what his hair will be like.








Christopher is growing into quite the bright boy. He has remained on the honor roll, and spends most of his time at home practicing with his ez bake oven, or building something on his block
table. He even took up fishing and goes out often before school to catch a few fish from the pond across the street. I've even caught him playing with his brother, and being a huge help by
emptying the potty chair. He loves to clean too, he's always straightening up in the bathroom and
kitchen when it needs it. I cherish these times while he's learning who he wants to be, it won't be long before he's a teenager, and we all know how unpredictable a time that can be.





Ian declared that instead of having a party for his entre into those golden years, that he and I were going to France to celebrate! It was more then I had ever hoped for. He told such wonderful
stories about his trip there, but I never thought we could afford for both of us to go. But he had been saving up and between his royalties from the books and articles he's been writing, and my maternity leave and now pension pay, with a little online deal shopping we were able to pull it off.





It was beautiful. Spending time with Ian away from the children was divine. It was like the honeymoon we never got to have! Don't get me wrong, I do dearly love my children, but I love my husband too, and with the little ones always underfoot and needing something we hadn't spent enough time together lately. He was starting to feel more like a friend than a lover. This trip to France cured that though, that's for certain.




I also got to spend quite a lot of time working on my culinary skills. Ian wanted to sharpen his photography skill so was off snapping pictures here and there for the newspaper. I picked up all the recipe books I could find in the local shops and set myself to fixing all of them in the Base Camp's kitchen. It was a glorious time, but too soon over. We got back home just in time for Ian to return to work, (he doesn't want to retire yet, still has stories to tell, ya know) and prepare for Christopher's teenage birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment