Sunday, August 15, 2010


Greetings readers, I am Christopher Winchell, son of Mary and Ian Winchell. I will be taking over this blog for now. Mother has been so busy with her gardening and cooking that she decided to turn this task over to me. I don't mind really, as it doesn't require me to actually talk to you, just write my story. I'm a bit of a loner, so I try to avoid any real relationships, much to Mother's chagrin. She keeps telling me that I need to meet a nice young girl so that she knows that my future is settled before she passes on. I hate to hear her talk that way, but my parents aren't young anymore, anyone can see that. They're great though, they've never really told me what to do, just let me go along at my own pace.
Even for my birthday Mother agreed to serve her Ratatoullie instead of a traditional birthday cake because she knew it was my favorite. Mother hovers a bit, but only because she doesn't have much to do since she quit the diner. Her first love was always staying home with me and my brother Devlin. Dad on the other hand is going to work until the Reaper comes looking for him, and even then he will probably try to interview him for the newspaper before he agrees to go with him.

I did get a part-time job at the Bookstore, so that I could at least let Mother think that I was meeting new people. Who knows, maybe I will?
The most ridiculous thing happened Friday night. I went to bed early, it had been a long week. I woke up early Saturday morning, about a quarter til 4 am, and decided to go across the road to get some early morning fishing in. The fish bite the best then. It never occurred to me that I was breaking curfew! I'd only been there a few moments before the cop pulled up. He made me get in the car and drove me around the corner back to the house. Dad had just gotten up, and came out to give me the riot act. Like he never did anything wrong. Mother said when they first met Dad was penniless and practically homeless! I wasn't doing anything wrong after all. He decided my punishment was to spend the day at the library. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, I guess. I spent the day reading cook books, and discovered that I loved it. I've decided I want to be one of those celebrity chefs, like they show on TV.

We did some expanding to the house. Dad wanted to add a basement for the nectar maker and nectar racks he picked up in France. They decided to add a room and a few feet to the living/kitchen room and my room. Of course I didn't expect that the reason they added to my room was so that Devlin could move in with me when he started school. The nursery will remain a play room for now. I guess it's all right, I'm really on here to sleep most days anyway. I am interested in checking out how the nectar maker works though.

It wasn't long, however, before Mother decided that with the expansion there as more than enough room in our bedroom for the toys to be in there and the playroom to be transformed into a second bathroom and an expansion for their bedroom. On the one hand I'm thrilled, no more waiting for Dad in the morning. On the other hand, I've outgrown having all these toys around. Maybe they'll let me move to the basement.

Rooming with Devlin wouldn't be SO bad if he wasn't such a slob! He never makes his bed or washes his own dishes. He leaves a puddle on the floor when he takes a shower. The toys are always strewn around the room. If it wasn't for the fact that he was my brother, I don't think I'd like him very much.

Dad finished his 5th book. A biography about some guy in town. He also got a promotion which helped with the building costs. He wants to reach the top of his career, and I admire that, but he doesn't realize he needs to start taking it easy. I hope he slows down soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment