Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A loss


Dear readers, I regret to inform you of the passing of my Mother, Mary Winchell. Her passing was swift, and affected many lives. She left this world as she lived it, in the kitchen, cooking something delectable. You will be pleased to know, I'm sure, that she did reach her goal of putting together the premiere recipe collection. She even reached the top of the cooking world, earning the coveted master's certificate. I can only hope to follow in her footsteps.
My Dad has been distraught with worry, but still insisted that I follow through with the plan of going to France with a school trip. He said Mother would have been devastated if she thought she'd kept me from such a wonderful opportunity. I haven't been able to enjoy myself for mourning, but it has given me a connection with Mother that I didn't expect. We stayed in the same hotel that her and Dad stayed in when they came. After completing the interview that I was obligated to do while here, I decided to spend the rest of my time cooking. I only learned later, from the owner, that my mother had done the same thing when she was here, while Dad researched his article.

Devlin has begun high school himself. It's odd to see him in the hallways everyday, but it won't be for long I guess. His last birthday party was a grand event. Dad had just finished the pond and meditation area in the side yard. We added a picnic table nearby and it proved to be a lovely area for a party. After a massive game of tag, we all enjoyed birthday cake and the buffet table. Devlin has proved himself to be a grand writer. He already has 2 sci-fi books under his belt. He's started dabbling in painting too. Mother was so proud of him. It was great to see her so happy. I hope her passing so close to his birthday won't depress him overly much.

Dad is now a weatherman at the TV station. He still enjoys writing stories for the paper, but he loves this new found fame. I hope he can reach his goal of being a star anchorman soon. It would be nice for both parents to have fulfilled their dreams. It gives me hope that I can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment